The purpose of the Student Council is to give students an opportunity to develop leadership by organising and carrying out school activities and service projects. In addition to planning events that contribute to school spirit and community welfare, the student council is the voice of the student body. They help share student ideas, interests and concerns with the school wide community.
All Councillors participate in the Wanneroo School Leadership Program. The School Leadership Program aims to empower young people to become change agents within their community by supporting them to identify issues and concerns in their local communities. The program provides a platform for young people to discuss and create positive, sustainable solutions to these issues and concerns. Throughout the School Leadership Program, young people learn about teamwork, leadership, resilience, creative problem solving and innovative project management. This program also provides young people with an opportunity to connect with their local Elected Members and develop an understanding of the Local Government Council system.
We are proud of the history of our Student Council with many going on to become School Leaders at their chosen High School.
Each year, 12 Faction Captains are selected to represent our 4 Factions: Dermokalitj (Red), Jida (Blue), Toonyart (Green) and Waalitj (Yellow). The names of the factions are the Noongar names for birds local to the area.
The Factions captains must meet a set criteria and be endorsed by their classroom teacher. They have an important leadership role within our school and at interschool sporting events, assisting the physical education specialist with the sports program.
Their role includes:
- Maintaining the sports shed, ensuring it is clean and tidy and that all equipment is pumped up and ready for use.
- Setting up all the equipment needed for Junior, Middle and Senior Sport each week.
- Setting up equipment for athletics training sessions.
- Organising lunch time activities on the oval.
- Making sure that all the sporting equipment is put away in the sport shed at the end of each day.
- Assisting the physical education specialist to set up the Cross Country and Athletics Carnival Days and help other staff members throughout the events.
- Representing our school at all interschool sporting events, by being role-models for their peers and the younger students.